Hockomock League Football Recap: 8 Teams Win in Week 3; League Play Starts Week 4
A recap of Week 3 football action in the Hockomock League.
Through three weeks of the season, six teams are still undefeated - Stoughton, Oliver Ames and Sharon in the Davenport Division and King Philip, North Attleboro and Attleboro in the Kelly-Rex.
In the Davenport, Oliver Ames has the highest scoring offense (100 points, through three weeks, including 86 in the last two) and Stoughton has the top defense (allowing just 20 points through three weeks, and just 7 in the last two).
In the Kelly-Rex, Attleboro has the highest scoring offense (97 points in three games) and King Philip has the top defense (23 points allowed in three games).
After three weeks of non-league play, league play for all teams, except King Philip, starts in week 4 (scroll to the bottom for the week 4 schedule).
Week 3 Recap
- Stoughton 27, Pembroke 7 - Stoughon beat Pembroke in its home opener to improve to 3-0 on the season. The Black Knights scored twice in a two minute span in the third quarter to help put the game away. Frankie Morris finished with two rushing touchdowns; Malachi baugh had a 40-yard TD run; and Dan Eckler had a 44-yard TD pass to Andrew Kelly. Click here for a full recap.
- Whitman Hanson 21, Foxborough 20 - Despite three more rushing touchdowns from Kiivone Howard (he has a Hockomock-leading 9 on the season), the Foxborough Warriors fell at home to Whitman Hanson and are now 2-1 on the season. Foxborough trailed 21-7 at the half, but after Howard scored his second touchdown of the second half, the Warriors were just an extra point away from tying the game with 1:18 left in the game. But kicker Kyle Will missed and Whitman-Hanson held on for the win. Click here for a full recap.
- Oliver Ames 43, Bedford 7 - Bedford scored first, but then Oliver Ames rattled off 43 unanswered points to improve to 3-0 this season. Six different players scored for the Tigers - Jeremiah Troy (kickoff return); Michael McMillan (pass from Nick Cidado); and Sean Kelly, St. Clair Ryan, Cameron Williamson and Mike Ferrara with TD runs. Click here for a full scoring recap.
- Sharon 34, North Quincy 22 - Sharon High football continues its improvement under second year coach Dave Morse, with the Eagles off to a 3-0 start this season. After winning just 4 combined games from 2008-2010, the Eagles have won 7 of their last 13, dating back to 2011. Despite trailing North Quincy 22-14 heading into the fourth, Sharon scored three touchdowns in the final quarter (Brad Kaufman pass from Sean O'Neill and runs by Sean Asnes and Frank Sullivan) to earn the win. Click here for a full scoring recap.
- Abington 29, Canton 15 - Tied at 15 at the half, Abington scored two touchdowns in the second half to give Canton its first loss of the season (1-1). Canton quarterback Ian Flavin ran and threw for a touchdown (to Elias Camacho) in the loss. Click here for a full recap.
- Mansfield 31, Dracut 16 - Robert Rapoza scored all four of Mansfield's touchdowns as the Hornets bounced back from a week 2 loss to Needham and improve to 2-1. Rapoza had three touchdown runs and a TD catch from quarterback Kyle Wisnieski. Michael Hershman had a field goal and four extra points. Click here for a full recap.
- King Philip 14, Westwood 3 - Touchdown runs by Joe Johnston and John Dillon gave KP the win over Westwood, with the Warriors improving to 3-0 this season. Click here for a full scoring recap.
- Attleboro 43, South Kingstown (RI) 14 - Attleboro improves to 3-0 after scoring six touchdowns in week 3. Brandon Arrone had a pair of TD runs and David Duquette and Brandon Hem added a TD run each. Tim Walsh had a touchdown pass to Corey Martinez. Brandon Clark intercepted three passes on defense, returning one for a 46-yard touchdown. Click here for a full scoring recap.
- North Attleboro 21, Bishop Feehan 14 - North Attleboro held off Bishop Feehan to improve to 3-0 this season. Ryan Perron had a pair of touchdown passes to Mike Lambert (27 yards and 34 yards) and Lambert added a touchdown run (3 yards). Click here for a full scoring recap.
- Lowell 31, Franklin 20 - Despite two touchdowns from quarterback Nick Zucco, Franklin couldn't overcome an early deficit at Lowell, falling to 2-1 on the season. Click here for a full scoring recap.
- Taunton 34, Durfee 20 - After being shutout against Stoughton the week before, Taunton scored 34 in a week 3 win against visiting Durfee, giving the Tigers their first win of the season (1-2). Gerald Cortijo and Jamal Williams each had two touchdown runs.
Week 4 Schedule
- Friday, Sept. 28 - Mansfield at Stoughton; Canton at Attleboro; North Attleboro at Foxborough; Dartmouth at King Philip (non-league)
- Saturday, Sept. 29 - Taunton at Sharon; Oliver Ames at Franklin