PHOTOS: Oliver Ames Suffers 27-6 Setback Saturday in Foxborough
Oliver Ames (5-2, 0-1) struggled against Foxborough's strong rushing attack and defense Saturday in its Davenport Division opener.
FOXBOROUGH - Miscues plagued Oliver Ames (5-2, 0-1) Saturday in a frustrating, 27-6 loss to Davenport Division foe Foxborough (5-2, 1-1).
Turnovers - OA had four – and penalties prevented Oliver Ames' offense from finding a rhythm Saturday against a strong Foxborough defense and the Tigers struggled to stop the Warriors' Kiivone Howard, who scored three rushing touchdowns and gained over 100 yards. Howard now has 15 scores through seven games this season.
"[Foxborough] played tougher," said Oliver Ames head coach Jim Artz. "I said right from the start whoever runs the ball and whoever defends the ball best will win the game and we didn’t. We allowed them to take it to us running the ball and we didn’t make tackles at the point of attack."
OA was unable to score until late in the fourth quarter when quarterback Nick Cidado found receiver Greg Cummings for a 35-yard touchdown pass with 2:28 remaining. OA's extra point attempt turned into a failed 2-point conversion and Foxborough was able to close out the game from there.
"We just absolutely laid an egg and I will take the blame for it," Artz said.
OA committed four turnovers - two interceptions and two fumbles. Foxborough was able to convert two of those turnovers into 14 points. The Warriors also forced seven OA three-and-outs and one turnover on downs.
"Coaching-wise we’ve got to do something a little bit different because like I said we laid an egg and I will take the blame that there was something coaching-wise during the game we didn’t do right," said Artz.
Saturday's loss makes next Friday's game against Stoughton a huge game in the Davenport Division. The Black Knights were shocked by first place Sharon, 16-14 Saturday. Foxborough hosts Canton next Friday.
Here's a look at the Davenport Division standings heading into next week's action:
- SHARON (2-0)
- STOUGHTON (1-1)
- FOXBOROUGH (1-1)
- OLIVER AMES (0-1)
- CANTON (0-1)
SCORING BY QUARTER
- 1st: No score
- 2nd: 1:47 - (FHS) Kiivone Howard (12-yard run). PAT no good. 6-0, Foxborough
- 3rd: 7:09 - (FHS) Kiivone Howard (20-yard run). PAT good. 13-0, Foxborough; 8:57 - (FHS) Kiivone Howard (15-yard run). PAT good. 20-0, Foxborough
- 4th: 7:54 - (FHS) Alex Pacitti (49-yard fumble return). PAT good. 27-0, Foxborough; 8:32 - (OA) Greg Cummings (35-yard touchdown reception from Nick Cidado). 2-point attempt failed. 27-6, Foxborough
FOXBOROUGH PLAYER OF THE GAME
- Kiivone Howard: A week after Howard was contained by Attleboro, the star running back erupted against Oliver Ames scoring three touchdowns and racking up over 100 yards on the ground. Howard appeared to have scored his fourth touchdown of the game on an 80-yard run in the fourth quarter, but it was negated due to a Foxborough blocking penalty. Howard now has 15 rushing scores on the season.
OLIVER AMES PLAYER OF THE GAME
- Greg Cummings: OA's wide receiver and defensive back was one of few bright spots for the Tigers Saturday. Cummings recorded a 35-yard touchdown reception in the fourth quarter for OA's only score of the game and intercepted a Mike Slaby pass on defense.