Your summer vacation has come and you are getting ready to get away. The kids are excited and you feel a little overwhelmed. To have the most pleasant vacation with your kids of any age just takes a little pre planning. Kids will have added energy when going on vacation so channel that energy and happiness will be plentiful.
Some quick thoughts when you head out on vacation:
- Allow extra time so no one needs to rush—nothing kills a vacation mood like stress at the toll booth
- Extra snacks – hungry kids are usually grumpy and remember some moist towelettes in the car for those Cheese puffs and sticky ice cream cones
- Keep to nearly the same morning and evening bed schedule—a 30 minute extension is still a treat at night and less of a disaster the next morning
- Kids get tired so take breaks – a break by the pool is always good for everyone but just remember the sunscreen even when the clouds are out
- Bring extra entertainment for the plane or car ride—video games or books since an entertained kid is a happy kid
- Let kids help in the decision of what they are doing and seeing, prescreening options and providing a choice of 3 alternatives that fit your approval
- For older kids, say teens and above, bring a friend along
- Have patience and make the experience fun because a stressed parent will trickle down to the kids
Where are some great vacations destinations for kids?
- The Beach (with sunscreen applied before you leave the hotel)
- National Parks from Maine to Colorado (with slightly used shoes)
- Washington DC (leave the scissors and nail clippers in your hotel room)
- New York City (you can even take the train there for a complete experience)
- Dude Ranch (what kid doesn’t love to ride horses?)
- Many small towns throughout our country (more cooked to order food than in most homes)
- Italy (remember passports take 8 weeks)
Anytime you are traveling as a family, remember it is time to connect and enjoy each other’s company. Many great memories are made from even the smallest trip.