Columbus Day, a nationally recognized federal holiday, arrives today, Monday, Oct. 8. What is closed on today? Most banks, government offices and the U.S. Postal Service will be closed to observe the holiday. Here's what else is open and closed today in Sharon:
- Ames Free Library: Closed
- Banks: Closed
- Town Offices: Closed
- Schools: Closed
- Restaurants: Open
- Retail Stores: Open at owners' discretion
- Three post office locations: Closed; express delivery available
- Supermarkets: Open
- Convenience Stores: Open
- Gas Stations: Open
- Gyms: Open with limited schedules
- MBTA: Buses on Saturday schedule; the Providence/Stoughton Commuter Line will operate on a regular weekday schedule.
While it is an opportunity for some to sleep in on a Monday, the holiday itself is also interesting, and a great time to celebrate and shop.
Columbus Day remembers Italian explorer Christopher Columbus’ long journey across the Atlantic Ocean to the “New World." The voyage was victorious when land was first spotted on Oct. 12, 1492.
President Franklin Delano Roosevelt is responsible for making the holiday a federal one in 1937.
Tell us: What are your plans for Columbus Day? Shopping? Relaxation? Celebration?