As you know, homeownership is one of the single biggest investments we will make in our lifetime. That is why proper home maintenance is so important. Regular home maintenance enhances the properties economic age (the number of years a house is expected to survive), ensures safety, prevents simple upkeep from turning into costly repairs and may even reduce energy consumption. Having a well maintained home provides piece of mind and increases resale value. To support our fellow homeowners in achieving this objective, Greenwood Real Properties has put together a monthly checklist, home improvement and inspection routine for you to follow. ENJOY!!
- Replace filters or wash permanent ones in heating system. To learn how…Click Here
- Change batteries in carbon monoxide and smoke alarms
- Reset clocks and clocks in electronics for Daylight Savings Time
- Turn off water supply to humidifier located on furnace.
- Tune up gas grill
- Tune up lawn mower and other power equipment…to learn how Click Here
- Prepare garden plots.
- Inspect the siding and foundation for damage from pests, cracks or weather
- Inspect insulation for gaps and remove vent covers
- Inspect heat pump or air conditioning unit and clear debris
- Turn on outdoor water spigots
- Apply pre-emergent on lawns to curb growth of weeds
Also feel free to check out our Featured Article “Iran’s Potential Impact on the Global Oil Market” from the Armstrong Advisory Group by clicking HERE .
How important is preventative maintenance? Without it, your home could easily lose 10% to 12% of its appraised value. Researchers suggest that regular maintenance increases the value of a house by about 1% a year. However, professional appraisers are quick to point out any gain is typically offset by the ongoing cost of maintenance. According to the U.S. Census, over time annual maintenance can cost upwards to $3,300 or 1% to 3% of a home’s initial cost dependent on its geographic location. To put this in perspective; owners of a $200,000 house should plan to budget $2,000 to $6,000 per year for ongoing maintenance and upkeep depending on the age of the home.
Not sure what your home is worth in today’s marketplace? Feel free to Contact Us for a no cost, no obligation home valuation for estate planning purposes or just for your own edification.
**We offer discounts to Senior Citizens and Veterans**
Brian Greenwood is an Owner/Partner at Greenwood Real Properties/Keller Williams Realty w/Offices in Canton, Easton and Westwood
At Greenwood Real Properties our goal is straightforward: to exceed your expectations and earn your business for life