As you know, homeownership is one of the single biggest investments we will make in our lifetime. That is why proper home maintenance is so important. Regular home maintenance enhances the properties economic age (the number of years a house is expected to survive), ensures safety, prevents simple upkeep from turning into costly repairs and may even reduce energy consumption. Having a well maintained home provides piece of mind and increases resale value. To support our fellow homeowners in achieving this objective, Greenwood Real Properties has put together a monthly checklist, home improvement and inspection routine for you to follow. ENJOY!!
- Replace filters or wash permanent ones in heating system. To learn how…Click Here
- Check basement or crawl space for dampness or water. Repair as needed.
- Lubricate, test and clean sump pump in basement or crawl space
- Remove and clean storm windows. Store them away until needed again next Fall.
- Wash and install window and door screens.
- Flush vinegar through clothes washer to remove soap scum
- Check batteries in emergency flashlights
- Clean, oil and sharpen lawn tools. To learn how…Click Here
- Prune dead and broken tree limbs
How important is preventative maintenance? Without it, your home could easily lose 10% to 12% of its appraised value. Researchers suggest that regular maintenance increases the value of a house by about 1% a year. However, professional appraisers are quick to point out any gain is typically offset by the ongoing cost of maintenance. According to the U.S. Census, over time annual maintenance can cost upwards to $3,300 or 1% to 3% of a home’s initial cost dependant on its geographic location. To put this in perspective; owners of a $200,000 house should plan to budget $2,000 to $6,000 per year for ongoing maintenance and upkeep depending on the age of the home.
Not sure what your home is worth in today’s marketplace? Feel free to Contact Us for a no cost, no obligation home valuation for estate planning purposes or just for your own edification.
**We offer discounts to Senior Citizens and Veterans**
Brian Greenwood is an Owner/Partner at Greenwood Real Properties/Keller Williams Realty w/Offices in Canton, Easton and Westwood
At Greenwood Real Properties our goal is straightforward: to exceed your expectations and earn your business for life